Thursday 12 June 2014

Sounds of music

There's a reason why I listen to lyrics and I'll list them here for you. Many of these songs have been so important that I don't think I would've survived some points in my life without them.

"Good things might come to those who wait
Not to those who wait too late"

(Bill Withers - Just the two of us)

"You saved the best for last and now it's too late"
(Sonata Arctica - Good enough is good enough)

"The carousel is spinning fast
better enjoy while it lasts
Every moment is like gold
youll remember when youre old
And the meaning of this life
is to live and is to die
Make the best out of your dreams
they're the world where you are free
All the sorrow and the pain
will be washed away by rain
An eternal joy will come
it can be found by everyone
Though the end is drawing near
Im not feeling any fear
I have found the truth inside
after all the tears I've cried"

(Stratovarius - Season of change)

"Fly without sorrow
In my dreams we meet again
For you I live, I would die for you
You'll stay deep inside in my heart"

(Entwine - Closer my love)

"So when the hell will I know.
How much further do I have to go?
And how much longer 'til I finally know?
'Cause I'm looking and I just can't see what's in front of me."

(Hoobastank - Crawling in the dark)

"I have carried this burden so long for you
that nothing but sorrow I feel
I have let myself believe
that nothing would hurt deeper than the truth"

(Ensiferum - Eternal Wait)

"I'm sick and tired of bein' sick and tired"
(Ozzy Osbourne - I just want you)

"Time after time
I am wasting my time
Living in a past where I was strong
But now I am gone
I leave no shadow when I'm alone
I'll stay forever in my dreams where you are near"

(Pain of Salvation - Second love)

"I am the Playwrite and you are my Crown, 
make me cry for your love, like you´ve done many times, 
so I know I can´t write these storylines without you, Lady pain, 
make me strong, can´t we be together without them forever..."
(Sonata Arctica - The Misery)

"Is is too late to go in peace, I wonder how
how these things did start anyway
Maybe too late to find a way, when the
trail of grief is marked with memories"

(Hammerfall - I believe)

"Can you give as much as you can take?
Can you love as much as you can hate?"
(Samael - Together)

"And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back
And given half the chance would I take any of it back
It's a fine romance but it's left me so undone
It's always darkest before the dawn"

(Florence + The Machine - Shake it out)

"You've got one night only, one night only, that's all you have to spare
One night only, let's not pretend to care
One night only, one night only, come on big baby come on
One night only, we only have 'til dawn

In the mornin' this feelin' will be gone
It has no chance goin' on
Something so right has got no chance to live
So let's forget about chances, its one night I will give

One night only, one night only, you'll be the only one
One night only, turn your arms around,
One night only, one night only, there's nothin' more to say
One night only, words get in the way
One night only, one night only, one night only"

(Dreamgirls soundtrack - One night only)

"What I've felt, what I've known
Sick and tired, I stand alone
Could you be there, 'cause I'm the one who waits for you
Or are you unforgiven too?"

(Metallica - Unforgiven II)

"And if you will, I will
Try to let it go.
And if you try, I'll try
Try to let it show us the way
'Cause love is here to stay
Just look me in the eye
This is do or die
And I will stay in love
'Till you say enough
There is no giving in
There is no giving up in love."

(Jewel - Again and again)

"You tried to hide yourself in a shell
You wanted heaven but you got hell
And then the darkness gained control over you
When everything turned into bitter blue
You went into the land of no return"

(Bad boys blue - Baby blue)


And I said "I've gotta be honest
I've been waiting for you all my life."
For so long I thought I was asylum bound,
But just seeing you makes me think twice.
And being with you here makes me sane,
I fear I'll go crazy if you leave my side.
You've got wits... you've got looks,
You've got passion but are you brave enough 

to leave with me tonight?
(Dashboard Confessional - As lovers go)

"Baby, do you understand me now
Sometimes I feel a little mad
But don't you know that no one alive
Can always be an angel
When things go wrong I seem to be bad
But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"

(The Animals - Misunderstood)

"But I crash in my mind
Whenever you are near
Getting deaf, dumb and blind
Just drowning in despair
I am lost in your flame
It's burning like the sun
And I call out your name
Whenever you are gone

Tomorrow
I'm telling all tomorrow
Or the day after tomorrow
I'm sure I'll tell you then"

(Saybia - The day after tomorrow)

"Sing what you can't say
Forget what you can't play
Hasten to drown into beautiful eyes
Walk within my poetry, this dying music
- My loveletter to nobody

Never sigh for better world
It's already composed, played and told
Every thought the music I write
Everything a wish for the night"

(Nightwish - Dead boys poem)

But not just in English:

"Donnez-moi une suite au Ritz, je n'en veux pas
Des bijoux de chez Chanel, je n'en veux pas
Donnez-moi une limousine, j'en ferais quoi?

Offrez-moi du personnel, j'en ferais quoi?
Un manoir a Neufchatel, ce n'est pas pour moi
Offrez-moi la tour Eiffel, j'en ferais quoi?

Je veux d'l'amour, d'la joie, de la bonne humeur
C'n'est pas votre argent qui f'ra mon bonheur
Moi, j'veux crever la main sur le coeur"

(Zaz - Je veux)

"Ich hab' viel zu lang geblutet.
Schwer beladen mit der Schuld.
Weil Schlafen leichter ist als Kämpfen,
Hab' ich mich selbst eingelullt."

(Asp - Kokon)

"Uusi sukupolvi kuolemasta krapulainen 
Katsoo miestä, naista, lasta, likaista 
Tuokaa ruokaa ilman suuta kansa huutaa 
Ja vaihtaa aterian aseisiin ja materiaan" 
(Turmion Kätilöt - Liitto)

But not all are deep and meaningful:

"Cause it's the first of May, first of May
Outdoor fucking starts today
So bring your favorite lady
Or at least your favorite lay
Water's not cold baby dip in your big toe
Maybe I'll see you in flagrante delicto
Grass below you, sky above
Celebrate spring with a crazy little thing called fucking outside"

(Jonathan Coulton - First of May)

"Push me
And then just touch me
Till I can get my
Satisfaction, satisfaction, satisfaction, satisfaction, satisfaction

Push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push,
Push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push
Push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push,
Push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push"

(Benny Benassi - Satisfaction)

Yea, don't listen to lyrics every time...

If you have lyrics in mind that are meaningful to you, please don't be shy to share them. I would love to read them and maybe even listen to those songs. In this blog you can post anonymously if you wish. Sharing is caring!

20 comments:

  1. How long will I keep this candid camera smile?
    My muscles hurt, I better rest for a while
    Breathing is the only thing that keeps alive
    All this oxygen, crushes me, leaves me so tight
    Let me out...

    My pain is leading, I got no control from now
    Don't try to help me, I don't want to put you down
    All my reasons will be misunderstood,
    I wish you well, in here there's nothing good

    My heart is rotten with all the worst kind of disease
    It tries to be better but all it can do is bleed
    I'm so tired of myself
    Oh God please take me away and bring someone else

    One of my friends believes in what she reads
    And she's always talking about the end of the century
    But listen, have you ever stopped to realise
    That if it happened there would be noone to feel alone?
    No pain at all...

    I should be going, so much damage I've done
    So many tears and still alot more to come
    Excuse, don't push my wheel chair
    I don't want to go anywhere

    My heart is rotten with all the worst kind of disease
    It tries to be better but all it can do is bleed
    I'm so tired of myself
    Oh God please take me away and bring someone else

    Alone, I don't care
    And now all I remember is the smell of your hair...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautiful. And so sad... I hope that song made you stronger and not put you even more down. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly. Beautiful doesn't have to be happy. And yes it does help to listen to this. It's remind you that you are not alone and someone somewhere feels the same.
    Sharing is caring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we're not alone with the feelings we carry with us. And that thought at least for me is comforting.

      Delete
    2. There is comfort in pain. There is comfort when hitting rock-bottom.

      Delete
    3. Music sure can bring comfort when hitting the rock-bottom and sometimes it feels good to dwell on pain. But I guess the key is to not get stuck down there.

      Delete
    4. It's even better when you find someone who pulls you up from rock bottom...

      Delete
    5. This might sound cynical but what I've learned in life is that there's no one who can save you (better) than yourself. And no one should wait around in the bottom for a knight in shining armor. If you can't pick yourself up, if you can't love yourself, how would someone else do that? Though it's always nice to get a helping hand.

      Delete
    6. You are cynical. But there is nothing wrong with that. Your own initiative for picking yourself up might not be enough. It's true that it should be your own attitude but we are a social animal. We need others and I'm not talking about just "romantic" others.

      Delete
    7. I agree, we do need others. One of the worst feelings I know is to be lonely.

      Delete
    8. To be lonely surrounded by people. What would you say if I told you that you are lonely because you want to. If you would ever decide not to be lonely anymore, you would do something about that.

      Delete
    9. What if I told you that there's a great difference between being alone and being lonely? If I was truly lonely, it's true, I could just pick up the phone and call someone. But there are people who are truly lonely out there (for example some elderly people without relatives or friends). Still, sometimes I feel lonely while surrounded by people but maybe lonely isn't a good word for it. Perhaps we should say we feel like strangers among friends. Or something like that.

      Delete
    10. I think being lonely is not having anyone that you can honestly say what keeps you up at night, what is happening at work that is making you come home stressed and bothered. All the little things that might seem insignificant but that you don't share with everyone.. also the big things. Having family doesnt make you less lonely. Makes you not alone.

      Delete
    11. For me having family makes me less lonely. And with family I mean it in the old-fashioned sense where you actually care for each other. Not family as in only blood-related. I think having family is important and it doesn't matter if it's ones real family, just some people who makes you feel like you belong to a community.

      I agree with you on the first part. It's the little things. And as they say little streams can make big rivers. It's important to have someone to share your daily life with, even the smallest ups and downs.

      Delete
    12. I have been trying to reply to this for days...Fucking Blogspot! Anyway, it's obvious we are different people. Thank you for the discussion. It made me feel less lonely! :)

      Delete
    13. I'm glad I could help :) And it's good to hear opinions from "different people". It really was a nice chat, thank you!

      Delete
  4. I agree that song lyrics can be so empowering or utterly breaking, and can be so much more powerful than any other form of art at times.
    The one song that has related to me on such a strong level that I couldn't believe the lyrics I was hearing when I first took the time to comprehend it's message is Boys Don't Cry - The Cure.

    I would say I'm sorry
    If I thought that it would change your mind
    But I know that this time
    I've said too much
    Been too unkind

    I try to laugh about it
    Cover it all up with lies
    I try to laugh about it
    Hiding the tears in my eyes
    'cause boys don't cry
    Boys don't cry

    I would break down at your feet
    And beg forgiveness
    Plead with you
    But I know that
    It's too late
    And now there's nothing I can do

    So I try to laugh about it
    Cover it all up with lies
    I try to laugh about it
    Hiding the tears in my eyes
    'cause boys don't cry
    Boys don't cry

    I would tell you
    That I loved you
    If I thought that you would stay
    But I know that it's no use
    That you've already
    Gone away

    Misjudged your limits
    Pushed you too far
    Took you for granted
    I thought that you needed me more

    Now I would do most anything
    To get you back by my side
    But I just
    Keep on laughing
    Hiding the tears in my eyes
    'cause boys don't cry
    Boys don't cry
    Boys don't cry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know the song but never really listened it until now. I think people shouldn't act strong just because of their gender so it's a good message the song brings up.

      On another note, saying sorry and pleading for forgiveness is never too late. One might think there's nothing they can do anymore but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try. None of the people who've pushed me too far, taken for granted or misjudged my limits have never said they're sorry. It might not bring me back, but it's never too late to ask for it.

      Delete
    2. Indeed, wise words. And beg for forgiveness I did, it didn't accomplish much more than a "talk to the hand" at the time, but eventually resulted in forgiveness and a sort of friendship, nothing more. The most important lessons to be learned, however, are often the hardest. This was definitely one of the hardest I've had to endure and I'll be damned if I make the same mistake again.

      Also on another note, your blog is very entertaining and endowed with nuggets of wisdom gained from experience. Keep up with the posts. :) And happy belated birthday.

      Delete
    3. Thank you ever so kindly! I wonder how did you know my b-day already came and went... ;D

      I have two topics in mind for the next post, let's see which one comes first. The other one is inspired by these comments so stay tuned!

      Delete