Saturday 14 December 2013

50 shades of Carl

I keep having pretty interesting conversations with one of my internetian friends. We've covered almost every part of life already but still the topics don't seem to end. Or well, they are not conversations, more like arguments because my blood pressure always goes waaay up high. But that's me, I take a strong stand on things and then get frustrated if the other person doesn't see my point or agree with me. I do like arguments though. The problem usually is that people don't want to get into those with me because I can be pretty mean and offensive.

But this one guy is different. We can have a heated argument about gay rights for a day and a half and when I'm all "okay I guess we can't be friends anymore, he wont talk to me anymore", he sends me a casual message about something else. It's nice change to talk to someone who doesn't take the arguments too serious. It's not the end of the world if we all don't agree. But it's important to talk about stuff so we can widen our path of thoughts. Like I said before, things tend to have two ends like a good old sausage has (referring to a children's song). It's simply not possible for one person to discover all the aspects to important things alone.

The latest conversation we had was about a piece of news. There has been a case where a German forensic have killed another man and probably eaten parts of him too. Link to the news here. I don't go into more details about that particular subject because my point is elsewhere. My conversation partner thinks a murder is always a murder and should be imprisoned always. He thinks this case was more sickening than a person murdering a stranger on the streets - or at least this is what I've gathered from his arguments. I agree with it being more sick in the light of the both people involved being mentally not in this world. By that I mean the amount of sickness is doubled in this case because both the victim and the murderer are... well, fucked up.

I also think this is less sickening because it seems to me the both parties agreed on the killing and eating. I think people have the right to choose how they live or how they die. At least they should. For both men I think it would've been beneficial to get help and not do this at all, but if someone really wants to be eaten, who am I to judge? Just don't eat me or the people dear to me. I also think we all have weird thoughts and desires from time to time, but do we act on them is a totally different thing. For me it's very interesting to think why would someone act on their weird fantasies.

In the guild chat we sometimes bash mean people and joke about how they should be stabbed 37 times (see reference here). Still, I don't think any of us would actually really ever be able to stab anyone. And maybe joking about it is not the best thing to do. It's all fun and games, but it would be better to tone down those jokes because there's nothing funny in killing someone or death itself. We can still do our get-away-trip to Hong Kong without anyone getting killed in the process.

The question of the day is - and I want you to ponder about this - is there moral grey areas? Is murdering more forgivable sometimes or is it always as reprehensible? Is ending a life worse than getting raped? What is the worst thing that could happen to you and could you ever forgive?

No comments:

Post a Comment